Through Wooden Eyes

Life in the workshop
Website

Folksy shop

A couple of simple workshop upgrades. 

An extraction hood for the bandsaw, simple plywood cover held to the side of the saw by magnets.

Zero clearance inserts for the tablesaw.  I was surprised to find a uk supplier for the MicroJig splitter, i’ve liked the look of them since i saw them reviewed by the Wood Whisperer.

While i’ve got the bandsaw apart it’s time to make a modification i’ve been meaning to make for a while.  Extending the slot on the casting that holds the guide bearings means i can move the guides back to wherei actually want them.

In a lesson learned from Adam Savage - Use more cooling fluid.

The saw’s running a lot better now, seems a good cleaning and being carefully put back together is what it needed.  Though credit to HandHQ for suggesting a knackered bearing, all six need replacing.

My bandsaw’s been making some odd noises.  Like metal rubbing on metal noises.  
Replaced the blade and found that my tracking options are falling off the back of the wheel or hitting other parts.
Took it apart to try and find the problem, i’m no wiser.  Let’s hope i can remember how it goes back together.
Drill bit cabinet half filled.
More to be added, and space for more drill bits to be added.

Scrap plywood becoming a drill bit cabinet

Machining up some poplar for a painted built in.  My planner/thicknesser does a great job, and the mobile base for it means that even long lengths can be handled in my tiny workshop.
My new toy arrived today….

Branding iron revisited

I’ve got a new pyrography tool so my brand needs to be modified to be a ‘just add fire’ kinda tool.

A longer brass stem (brazed on) and a wooden handle (attached with a glue that’s resistant to high temperatures) and everything’s ready.

Parts starting to arrive for the wedding book.  Paper and leather for the hinge part and spine.  Where the cover meets the spine the two parts are beveled, this was a little scarey and the result was a lot of burning that needed some cleaning up with a block plane.

And the final problem of the day is that i made the covers before i got the paper.  As such i made them based on A3 printer paper, it turns out that the paper for the book is shorter and wider so the cover needed to be enlarged a little.

Tomorrow i’ll match the new part of the cover with the rest of it and attach the leather.

Knife Block

I treated myself to some reasonable knives and to store/protect them i made this.  I’ve been working on about 3 other projects today and this was made in the moments between them. 

Black walnut and birch plywood finished with walnut oil, which is my go to food safe finish.

I made this to be kept in a drawer, which i’ll get round to making one day.